January's sewing challenge was to try a new technique, and so I chose to sew this more constructed jacket pattern out of a soft sweater knit, using McCall's 6711. Lori noted that this pattern ran large, and I should have taken her recommendations to heart. I did my usual FBA, made an adjustment for a broad back, and also added one inch to the jacket length. Adding the length was necessary, but the FBA and the back adjustment were not. The armscyce seam falls off my shoulder now, and I'll need to go back and take that in a little. In the future, I'll need to pay more attention to making the broad back adjustment without adding to the neck-to-sleeve width.
Even with the adjustments to the fit, I am happy with this jacket. The fabric is a very soft, double-sided sweater knit with minimal one-way stretch. I paid all of $1.50 for the 2 yards when I purchased this at an estate sale a few months ago.
I used a soft interfacing at the 2 fronts, along with a narrow strip fused to the side and back hems. I left this jacket unlined to maintain the sweater-like feel.
Belting this jacket didn't work for me, not figure-flattering at all! I was much more comfortable wearing it open like a sweater.
Now that I think I have the 'bugs' worked out of this jacket pattern, I plan to revisit it in a lined version sometime soon.